The Curated Closet - Part I

/
2 Comments

Image result for curated closet

Coucou all and welcome back to SammyFaces!

With fall equinox a few days ago, hereby announcing only two months (!!!) til the end of the year, it's almost time for me to reflect and look back at the priorities I had reset earlier this year...

After we moved into our new home last year, one of my priorities was to reorganize my closet, letting go of all the items which no longer served me to make room only for those that I would love and cherish deeply. I was really longing to reveal the minimalist in me and to turn dressing up every morning into a "joyful" experience that would make me look effortlessly chic in every circumstances - in true "Serena van der Woodsen" form (anyone watched GossipGirl here?)

After a few attempts at the now famous "Magic of tidying up" method by Mari Kondo, I knew I had to try something different. I thus embarked into reading many other books on the subject from everything and anything with "chic" "Parisian" or "French" in the titles like "Lessons from Madame Chic" by the 10-item wardrobe queen Jennifer Scott to "The curated Closet" by Anuschka Rees, which I cannot recommend highly enough.


As it turned out it's the combination of all different approaches to decluttering that truly helped me come up with my very own view in an aha moment. In fact through reading I learned why there were certain items that I kept wearing over and over (in Mari Kondo's words, the ones bringing me joy!) whilst others stayed barely worn or  still pricetagged (very high cost per wear!).  I also came to realize that the simple task of reorganising my closet was in fact more of an introspective process which helped me redefine and reaffirm my personal style and develop a new "shopping strategy" to complement it. It also revealed to me  that the foundations of a streamlined closet include the following principles:

1. Know your style
2. Know your body
3. Know your lifestyle
4. Know your budget

Insert light bulb moment for someone who has always been quick to "try" new "fashionable" things and partly influenced by...ahem ahem Instagram. Somehow formulating and being able to follow these 4 simple principles was the true revelation that allowed me to understand how my style has evolved (and may continue to do so), clearly visualize and identify gaps in my wardrobe, and come up with a plan for  shopping upgrade and sticking to it!

I also hope that in the long run, following these key simple principles will help me save time and money. So here I am, with Part I of my curated closet discovery, finally able to describe my style as follows:

Know Your Style in 3 words: Classic yet Modern! Yes the famous classic with a little twist.


Favourite colours:  All neutral colours- lots of black, grey, white and some beige/camel but also lately baby blue and darker reds/burgundy. Yes slightly boring but at least now I can assertively stop all sales associates from having me try every single orange or pink items in the shop because "oh this would look so lovely with my dark skin" (side eye).

Favourite accessories: Bags most definitely and to a lesser extent scarves and shoes (which help me  add the missing colours or the modern touch to my look) and from time to time earrings but I'm not a  jewelry person at all.
  
Other attributes of my style: Timeless, feminine, understated, elegant, and maybe corporate/ preppy? Certainly I now prefer function and comfort over beauty and glamour.

Style crushes:  Keri Washington as Olivia Pope, Michelle Obama,  Jackie Kennedy, Kate Middleton, Gwyneth Paltrow and many that I follow on IG and who inspire me on the daily but Ahn from 9to5chic is my goto for inspiration when I want ideas to shop my own closet.


Weak spots:  I have a weakness for expensive bags (I blame it on my mama), but also for stripe tops and tweed blazers (I blame it on Coco Chanel). Similarly I have too many  occasionwear dresses  that I have worn only once (ok  I blame it on me, myself and the culture I grew up with where people cannot see you with the same outfit twice at weddings). Finally I probably have way to many summery stuff but not enough mountain gear to adapt to my new life in Switzerland (story for another day).

And because a few pics are worth a thousands words, here are some moodboards inspirations and some of my Instagram pics that reflect my style.








Hope you enjoyed it! and because sharing is caring, I would love to hear from any of you who've tried the Mari Kondo method or any other piece of advise you may have on streamlining your wardrobe for a happier closet and hopefully a happier life!


til next time,


-S

Source: pinterest, google images and my very own Instagram



RELATED POST

2 comments:

  1. I love it when Sammyfaces talks fashion!

    I think you definitely know what your style is - by now we all know you have an addiction to tweed and hand bags. So that part is checked.

    What is left is to figure out which looks you can (re)create with the items you already have in your closet, and then probably rank them by probability of wearing these looks based on historical patterns. It's an iterative process but you will get there.

    And yeah, allow yourself an occasional fashion craze by buying into an outrageous trend - don't take the fun out of style!

    For me I figured out that I am fashion bipolar, I have my work (fashion) - personality and my afterwork (fashion) - personality. And the same way you have an addiction for tweed jackets I am a sucker for zip jackets and some sort of pants. 75% of time that’s what I'll wear. It makes morning decisions much easier. Occasionally dresses in the summer. And I gave up on heels at work. Time to admit.

    Outside of work my tendency is to go tomboyish. But social pressure makes me want to go feminine. And I end up somewhere in the middle, w no style at all. Therefore my aim is to embrace these two extremes and give them both proper airtime.

    To sum it up: 1) at work I’ll just do more of what I am doing so far, why fix it if it ain’t broken and 2) outside of work I want to enhance the feminine/masculine game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yaay. i love it when I get comments like yours!!! Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time.
      Indeed re-historical patterns you hit the nail on the head and this will be the topic for Part 2 related to taking into account one's lifestyle, activities, etc... whilst building a dream closet.
      And you are absolutely right at the end of the day let's not change what's working well and let's keep fashion fun as well as functional! so yes when it comes to experimenting new trends, that's when the last point on budgeting comes in to keep it "cheap" until proven worthy :-).
      As for your style I think it is fabulous all over and I can't wait to see you nail the feminine /masculine to a T (sexy jumpsuits maybe??). Baci, S

      Delete